Miss J's World

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Schizophrenia

An extremely interesting subject! I was talking to a doctor friend of mine the other day about my blog, and "somehow" we ended up discussing Schizophrenic patients!

Anyhow, we can define Schizophrenia as the state when a patient looses realtion with reality (as I previously mentioned in a comment) for a continuous interval of 6 months with the factor of isolating them from their everyday life (their work,pressures, etc..) . This can also be called 'Delusion'

Such patients may suffer from 'Hallucinations', which can come in two forms visual and auditory. As an example for visual hallucination, the patient would see two people and assume they are talking about him, but truely there are no people. Auditory would be in hearing the computer talking to him telling him to do stuff, missions to save humanity.

One of the cases my friend shared with me was a man who tried to committ suicide because he had an illusion of a huge number of insects climbing his body! Another was a young woman who believed her parents were two big snakes wrapped around her waist, pulling so hard in two different directions.

They may also be unable to abstract any information from given data. For an example a doctor asks a schizophrenic patient : "Do you know what brought you to this hospital?" and the patient replies : "A car" This shows that this particular patient (7asseh 7ali a doctor in a movie! khkh..) could not understand the meaning behind the question, being the reason that brought you to the hospital, not the way you got there.

They can also invent terms that have meaning only they can explain, like بطفجوع meaning بطالة وفقر وجوع This one another patient my friend met, he wanted to defeat this beast whom he called بطفجوع

I am not a doctor, I can't cover the whole issue. I just thought it is nice to know about this and hope you enjoyed the ride.

3 Comments:

  • this reminds me of the novel we both read... remember? it's always nice to know such things and to feel blessed for being healthy!

    By Blogger and life goes on..., at 10:26:00 AM  

  • meen batafjo3?????
    I am fighting the same beast, maybe ur friend is talking about me :) one more thing I always saw all the girls as being snakes, is this right? I am sure this is normal because all the guys have the same picture :) or do i have a Hallucination?

    Plzzzzzzzz help me Miss J :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:01:00 PM  

  • Miss J,

    This was a "verintect" i.e. very interesting subject :D

    Ma3leh, ija 3a bali adabbish

    Lolz

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home